About Me

Wife, mother of 4 daughters. I love growing, making, and eating good food. In my spare time, hiking, running, yoga, gardening, cooking, and reading are a few of my favorite things.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Slow Cooker Apple/Pear Butter

Ingredients:

  • Apples and/or pears--enough to fill your slow cooker
  • Cinnamon--to taste. I added about 1 tsp

Directions:

  1. Wash, core, and cut apples/pears into eighths--no need to peel them
  2. Add to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir a couple of times to make sure it doesn't stick.
  3. Scoop the chunks into a high-speed blender and blend until the skins are pulverized. If you  have a Blendtec, I ran the "sauces" setting twice using the wild side jar in two batches.
  4. Add it back to the slow cooker along with about 1 tsp. of cinnamon
  5. Cook on high, uncovered for about 45 minutes
I used honeycrisp apples and whatever pears I have on my trees and it didn't need any sweetener at all. This has been the case each year when I have made it. You could add a bit of maple syrup if you feel it needs it. I scoop it into glass jars with room at the top and freeze it. I have no idea if it works for canning.

No comments:

Post a Comment