About Me

Wife, mother of 4 daughters. I love growing, making, and eating good food. In my spare time, hiking, running, yoga, gardening, cooking, and reading are a few of my favorite things.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Quick Tip Tuesday-Cook Your Breakfast While You Sleep

As much as I hate to admit it (and often feel guilty about it), I don't cook a hot breakfast for my family very often. Here is my excuse: I already get up at 5:20 in the morning to get my workout finished before I pack lunches and fix a whole bunch of hair to get all of my girls off to school on time. I have been an avid exerciser for 20 years now and know that first thing in the morning is the only reliable time for me. So, I am admitting I am making a selfish decision to prioritize my workouts over a hot breakfast for my family. However, it turns out to be an unselfish decision in the long run because I am at my best if my workouts are regular. There you have it-my guilty pleasure is cold cereal (carefully selected by me), makes my mornings happy!

Over the years, I have found a few ways to provide a healthier breakfast a couple of days a week. One of my favorites is to prepare steel-cut oats in a crock pot. I had to buy a smaller one to fit my recipe better because it kept burning. Another trick I learned is you can use a timer that plugs in to your outlet, like the ones used for Christmas lights, to cook your oats for the perfect amount of time. I set my timer to turn on at midnight and off a 6:30. It is perfect every time. It might be a good idea to cook it during the day first, so you will know exactly how long to cook it in your crock pot.

Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oats
This smells so good in the morning, and it makes great leftovers. Just add a little extra liquid and reheat.

Ingredients
  • 3 apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (if the texture of the peel bugs you, peel it) 
  • 2-1/4 cups soy milk 
  • 2-1/4 cups water
  • 1-1/2 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, milk, maple syrup (the real stuff)

Directions       
Coat the inside of a 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approximately 6.5 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
 
Makes about 7 cups.

3 comments:

  1. I made this last night using my Christmas light timer. It was yummy and easy. Thanks for the great idea.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually make oatmeal once a week. My kids love it with milk, brown sugar and honey. However, I usually just do quick oats in the morning. What are the nutritional benefits of steel-cut oats over quick oats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest difference is in the processing of the oats. Steel-cut oats contain the whole oat kernel and are simply cut a couple of times. The rolled oats are taken from that point and steamed and rolled flat. Both are considered a whole grain and have roughly the same nutrient content. Because the steel-cut oats are less processed, their sugars enter the blood stream a bit slower. I think both are a good choice. I like the texture of the steel-cut oats more. They are thicker and chewy.

      Delete